Cruzin Through Another Semester
As you may have guessed, my life hasn't changed too dramatically from month to month since I started this inisightful program to get a PhD in Mechanical Engineering. After speaking with a few recruiters and talking with companies that I think I'd like to work for, they say I won't be hired until I have 5-10 years experience. Unfortunately we don't see eye to eye on the matter. I look at the situation as a great opportunity to enlighten the close-minded crazies that call themselves recruiters and exlpain to them my point of view. I develop a scenario that resembles a conversation with a car salesman. I ask the recruiter what he would say if he were shopping for a Toyota Corolla and the salesman said, "We're all out, but I've got a Lexus I'll give you for the same price". I ask the recruiter if he would say, "No thank you, I'm only interested in the Corolla, do you know when you might receive your next shipment, or would jump on the deal like "Stink on a Monkey", to use a phrase of one of my fellow labmates. Needless to say, the recruiters typically don't understand that I don't care if I have a PhD or not, I want to work for them and will accept the measley $60,000 they offer new hires with bachelors and Masters degrees. So far this hasn't worked for me, but I won't give up too easily. I kindly thank them for their time and end up walking away.
The moral of this story is, education is not equal to experience, and therfore one should know what they want to do before running down the wrong pathway.
That's my two bits for the month.
Andrew
The moral of this story is, education is not equal to experience, and therfore one should know what they want to do before running down the wrong pathway.
That's my two bits for the month.
Andrew

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home