My Daddy, Verlo Lloyd Petersen
Stubborn, ear pulling, loud voice, only his opinion, dead rabbit threatener, remote control hog, He's worth 2 votes - mom's worth 1 - and I'm worth 1/2, getting mad at me for spilling my milk and two seconds later spilling his own.
"Iris, where's the mayo" , "When are you going to have a baby?", "you eat too much", "Do you have a boyfriend yet?", "Phew, what have you been eating?" "No, you're a girl", "Pull my finger", "IRISSSSS!"
Shaky hands, big blue lazy boy, walker, puffy feet, reading the newspaper, playing a handheld poker game, remote control
old red tractor, "Damn, I cut off my finger.", Falls off Val's roof, hauling hay, burning ditches, wearing irrigation boots with his shovel over his shoulder coming in from the dark, shaking the ice in his empty glass of koolaid (means "I want more"), naps on the couch, repairing farm equipment, dancing around the (old) front room singing "I love a rainy night . ." over and over again, playing "my wild irish rose" on the organ, listening to Eddy Arnold on a record in the old stereo, petting the cat, baseball games on tv, football on tv, basketball on tv, Sorry game expert, Snoring denial, pruning the grapes, helping mom bottle peaches, helping mom with the laundry, popcorn, black licorice, giant chunk of chocolate from Sears in the fridge, 5,000 visits to Samsons, never stopping on road trips, driving to Newton in the front of the Chevy that smelled like the farm, loved cinnamon rolls, coming in from milking the cows with maneuer all over his face, etc. "The damn cow shit all over it's tail and flipped it in my face", The Lawrence Welk show, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, reading "little black sambo" with my kids, trying his authoritative voice on Emi and she doesn't flinch - boy did that throw him, playing ball with Eli, Eli's first word "grandpa", the way he would light up when my kids came over, sitting on his lap and he would pretend he was going to drop be between his legs but he always caught me, dad taking a glass of cold water in to drip on Brent or Val if they weren't up when he wanted them to be, his thin-lipped smile, dad and mom kissing under the mistletoe, mom and dad doing unmentionables one night with the door open when I was sneaking out of the house, shopping for mom at Christmas - looking for a blue dress and buying me presents,
Love of family, hard working, full of integrity, generous, believes in his Savior, respected and loved, humongous soft heart
I'm so grateful he's my dad and I know he loves me too
"Iris, where's the mayo" , "When are you going to have a baby?", "you eat too much", "Do you have a boyfriend yet?", "Phew, what have you been eating?" "No, you're a girl", "Pull my finger", "IRISSSSS!"
Shaky hands, big blue lazy boy, walker, puffy feet, reading the newspaper, playing a handheld poker game, remote control
old red tractor, "Damn, I cut off my finger.", Falls off Val's roof, hauling hay, burning ditches, wearing irrigation boots with his shovel over his shoulder coming in from the dark, shaking the ice in his empty glass of koolaid (means "I want more"), naps on the couch, repairing farm equipment, dancing around the (old) front room singing "I love a rainy night . ." over and over again, playing "my wild irish rose" on the organ, listening to Eddy Arnold on a record in the old stereo, petting the cat, baseball games on tv, football on tv, basketball on tv, Sorry game expert, Snoring denial, pruning the grapes, helping mom bottle peaches, helping mom with the laundry, popcorn, black licorice, giant chunk of chocolate from Sears in the fridge, 5,000 visits to Samsons, never stopping on road trips, driving to Newton in the front of the Chevy that smelled like the farm, loved cinnamon rolls, coming in from milking the cows with maneuer all over his face, etc. "The damn cow shit all over it's tail and flipped it in my face", The Lawrence Welk show, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, reading "little black sambo" with my kids, trying his authoritative voice on Emi and she doesn't flinch - boy did that throw him, playing ball with Eli, Eli's first word "grandpa", the way he would light up when my kids came over, sitting on his lap and he would pretend he was going to drop be between his legs but he always caught me, dad taking a glass of cold water in to drip on Brent or Val if they weren't up when he wanted them to be, his thin-lipped smile, dad and mom kissing under the mistletoe, mom and dad doing unmentionables one night with the door open when I was sneaking out of the house, shopping for mom at Christmas - looking for a blue dress and buying me presents,
Love of family, hard working, full of integrity, generous, believes in his Savior, respected and loved, humongous soft heart
I'm so grateful he's my dad and I know he loves me too

4 Comments:
Okay, so he didn't fall of Val's roof. Brent fell off his own roof. And it wasn't Samson's, it was Sammons. I am hoping you all will write your memories of gpa.
I love it when he winks at me and his sweet, sometimes sly smile.
I also forgot to tell about the time I sat on his lap (while he was in a lazy boy) and he told me to get off. I got off a little too fast and he flipped backwards, chair and all. He yelled for mom and I to help him up but we were laughing so hard we couldn't. He told us to stop laughing and help him up or he would pull my ear. How? He couldn't get out of his predicament.
I remember when I was young and would go watch him shave and he would shave my face too.
I LOVED it when he went grocery shopping with us (which wasn't too often) cuz he would buy all the stuff that wasn't good for you.
I remember when Val would bring Pepsi home from the pizza place and Dad would drink it but I wasn't allowed to have any.
I remember helping Dad slide the big metal door shut that covered the Cow Palace door on closing time.
I remember when he sawed off the horns of the cows and they would run around in circles with blood squirting out.
I remember when he would let me help him drive the tractor. (and each of the grandkids got to, also)
I remember when we dressed him up as Joseph on Christmas Eve.
I remember combing his hair. I liked to comb it like Einstein's.
I remember when he taught me how to play Sorry while Mom was in the hospital.
I remember getting to drive the car while sitting on his lap (on the freeway)
What do you remember?
By
The Grubb's, at 11:06 PM
One of my favorite Grandpa memories is when we went up to the Grubb cabin in Paris, ID. After Grandpa woke up from a nap he was taking in one of the back rooms, he and I just sat and talked for close to an hour. He told me all about his travels around the world during his service in the military. It was really cool to hear his stories about being in China and India (he didn't particularly care for the food the locals had to offer). It was probably the most I've ever heard Grandpa talk, and I learned some interesting things I never knew about him.
By
Beazer, at 8:59 AM
I was remembering getting our family picture taken awhile ago in the fields behind Grandma and Grandpa's house. Grandpa insisted on starting up the tractor even though it made no difference to the picture whatsoever. It probably made him feel comfortable though.
By
Ms. Muppettt, at 7:24 PM
Brooke and I were also reminiscing about our senior trip to Hawaii. While there, we bought Grandma a mu-mu and Grandpa a pink polyester floral print Hawaiian shirt. He must have liked it because he went right back to his bedroom and tried it on immediately!!
By
Ms. Muppettt, at 7:27 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home