From the Tuckers
Dear all,
First, a warning: Jeff is typing, and he has a habit of making events seem...well, better than they originally were, if you catch our drift. Nevertheless, we'll try.
A couple of weeks ago--July 12th, a Wednesday--we flew down to Arizona for a friend's wedding at the Mesa Temple. Put simply, it was hot. Put extravagantly, it was broiling--121 degrees Fahrenheit, to be exact (although the thermometer registered a paltry 119 when we stepped out of the temple). Jeff was the best man, and he wore a three-piece tuxedo while taking pictures. He now weighs in at one hundred pounds even, having sweat off the entire contents of his bloodstream.
This brings up a question: How on earth did Val, Brent, etc., ever survive living in that kiln-like environment?
Melanie: We only stayed in Arizona one night, and then flew to California in an airplane with no air conditioning. We had lots of fun with Jeff's family. Our favorite part was doing some temple work in the Newport Beach Temple for six of Vickie's uncles and her great aunt from Wales. We also went to see a national touring company of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat--the director took a few too many artistic liberties for our taste. We decided to look at some real estate (some of the open houses) to see if we could afford living in California. Nope. We looked at some condos that were something like 1.1 million with no air conditioning (can you tell we're on an air conditioning kick?) It's been HOT everywhere! Of course, we were looking in one of the most expensive areas in the country, but we took it as a sort of home show experience a la Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.
Jeff's winding up summer semester teaching Freshman English. He team-taught creative writing during Spring Semester with a BYU professor and will get his own class in creative writing in the fall along with another Freshman English class. He's finally got a new thesis chair (he was left advisor-less when his old thesis chair decided to retire suddenly). We're looking forward to being "rich" in the fall, since Jeff will get paid for teaching two classes at once!! The first things we will buy are toilet paper and corn tortillas. As far as Jeff's hobbies go--he finished making his first electric guitar (it's gorgeous) and is planning the next one. Maybe we'll have to stay in Utah forever so that Jeff can use his uncle's custom woodshop.
Jeff's sister Courtney visited us for a few days. We took her four-wheeling and shooting (did you know that Jeff owns a gun? I didn't know this when I married him). Well, at my insistence, the rifle is now safely stowed away at Grandpa Tucker's house in Ogden.
I had hoped to go to the full week of girls' camp this year, but I was unable, since the week prior I had taken off work to go to Arizona and California. So I just went up one evening to the camp at Wallsburg (sort of close to Heber). I love working with the girls, and I'm sad every year when more and more of my laurels graduate.
At work I've been busy translating our library catalog interface into Spanish, and I've also been working on a program that searches all of our library databases at once. I've also started working on a steering committee for the state library that focuses on early literacy for Spanish-speaking families. My term as the Reforma de Utah president finally ended, so I'm breathing a little easier now. (Reforma is a nonprofit group for librarians helping Latinos--www.reformadeutah.org) Anyway...Blah, blah, blah....I don't expect that any of this library jargon makes any sense.
We love you all and hope that you're having a great summer! Thanks for the fun 4th of July bash, Carrie.
First, a warning: Jeff is typing, and he has a habit of making events seem...well, better than they originally were, if you catch our drift. Nevertheless, we'll try.
A couple of weeks ago--July 12th, a Wednesday--we flew down to Arizona for a friend's wedding at the Mesa Temple. Put simply, it was hot. Put extravagantly, it was broiling--121 degrees Fahrenheit, to be exact (although the thermometer registered a paltry 119 when we stepped out of the temple). Jeff was the best man, and he wore a three-piece tuxedo while taking pictures. He now weighs in at one hundred pounds even, having sweat off the entire contents of his bloodstream.
This brings up a question: How on earth did Val, Brent, etc., ever survive living in that kiln-like environment?
Melanie: We only stayed in Arizona one night, and then flew to California in an airplane with no air conditioning. We had lots of fun with Jeff's family. Our favorite part was doing some temple work in the Newport Beach Temple for six of Vickie's uncles and her great aunt from Wales. We also went to see a national touring company of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat--the director took a few too many artistic liberties for our taste. We decided to look at some real estate (some of the open houses) to see if we could afford living in California. Nope. We looked at some condos that were something like 1.1 million with no air conditioning (can you tell we're on an air conditioning kick?) It's been HOT everywhere! Of course, we were looking in one of the most expensive areas in the country, but we took it as a sort of home show experience a la Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.
Jeff's winding up summer semester teaching Freshman English. He team-taught creative writing during Spring Semester with a BYU professor and will get his own class in creative writing in the fall along with another Freshman English class. He's finally got a new thesis chair (he was left advisor-less when his old thesis chair decided to retire suddenly). We're looking forward to being "rich" in the fall, since Jeff will get paid for teaching two classes at once!! The first things we will buy are toilet paper and corn tortillas. As far as Jeff's hobbies go--he finished making his first electric guitar (it's gorgeous) and is planning the next one. Maybe we'll have to stay in Utah forever so that Jeff can use his uncle's custom woodshop.
Jeff's sister Courtney visited us for a few days. We took her four-wheeling and shooting (did you know that Jeff owns a gun? I didn't know this when I married him). Well, at my insistence, the rifle is now safely stowed away at Grandpa Tucker's house in Ogden.
I had hoped to go to the full week of girls' camp this year, but I was unable, since the week prior I had taken off work to go to Arizona and California. So I just went up one evening to the camp at Wallsburg (sort of close to Heber). I love working with the girls, and I'm sad every year when more and more of my laurels graduate.
At work I've been busy translating our library catalog interface into Spanish, and I've also been working on a program that searches all of our library databases at once. I've also started working on a steering committee for the state library that focuses on early literacy for Spanish-speaking families. My term as the Reforma de Utah president finally ended, so I'm breathing a little easier now. (Reforma is a nonprofit group for librarians helping Latinos--www.reformadeutah.org) Anyway...Blah, blah, blah....I don't expect that any of this library jargon makes any sense.
We love you all and hope that you're having a great summer! Thanks for the fun 4th of July bash, Carrie.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home